What We Do
College Admission Coach provides customized, comprehensive college planning and application assistance including:
- Pre-college Planning: high-school course review (including Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate options); extracurricular review; community service review; summer experience review; internship or work experience review; advice regarding standardized testing (what tests to take when and investment in prep courses)
- College Selection: college aspiration review; student likes/dislikes in relation to college type, location, and culture; review of student career interests and possible college majors; financial considerations; transcript and class rank review; suggestions of colleges to research; review of support systems available at colleges being considered; creation of college wish list including safety, match and reach schools; tools for college comparison; college visit planning; blogging and “insider” resources about colleges
- Application Process: application timeline creation; advice regarding early decision, early admission, and early action options; assistance with the common application and school-specific applications; disclosure of special needs; disclosure of special circumstances; reference letter advice; admission essay topic selection; admission essay critique and editing; synergy of multiple essays; student resume creation; student website creation; Facebook/social networking review; admission and alumni interview practice
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: financial aid resources; financial aid guidance on FAFSA and CSS Profile; scholarship resources; scholarship essay topic selection; scholarship essay critique and editing
- Decision-making: review of admission offers and assistance with the decision process; admitted student visits/overnights; appeal negotiations; waitlist follow-through; negotiation of offer packages
Coaching may be performed face-to-face, by phone, Zoom, using shared Google Drive folders or via email. Most coaching uses a mix of all of these communication methods. Face-to-face coaching is available in Portland, Oregon, Southwest Washington and Tacoma, Wasington.